Instructions for Painting Your Garage Door
NOTE: Only paint the exterior of the garage door while it is in the closed position.
- Use the following solution, with a soft bristle brush, to remove mildew and other surface contaminants:
- 1 cup household Spic n Span detergent
- 5 gallons of warm water
- Rinse thoroughly with water. (Do not use a pressure washer to rinse door.)
- Use a powder cleanser like Comet, diluted with water, with a soft bristle brush, to prepare the surface for better paint adhesion. Do not use sandpaper, deglossers, or liquid sandpaper to prepare the door surface.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and allow it to dry.
- Use a high-quality acrylic latex exterior paint. Apply according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Do not use an oil-based paint or any “rust-inhibitive” paint. Do not paint in direct sunlight or when the surface is warm to the touch. Lap marks will result. Brush application is recommended.
- Avoid getting paint on any gasket seals between door sections. Not all Raynor garage doors have these gasket seals.
PAINT FORMULAS: If you are touching up the paint on your garage door or repainting it, you can match the color precisely with Raynor Paint Formulas. Just go to your local Sherwin-Williams store with the paint formula to make the match.
IMPORTANT: Since Raynor has no control over re-coating, we do not warrant this product against peeling of the original factory-applied baked-on finish or subsequent coats of paint where re-coating has occurred.
If you have any painting questions, please call 800-4-RAYNOR (800-472-9667) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.