We always knew that garage doors have a demanding life of ups and downs. But upon closer inspection of statistics and trivia, there is more to their story suggesting that these large entrances to our home are deserving of particular respect. Well, OK, we make garage doors. What else would you expect us to say? Still, these factoids may at least cause you to notice a few things about your garage and its doors.
Some of these facts relate to garage door usage and safety while others are in a category of their own.
1.The average garage door opens and closes 3 to 5 times per day, approximately 1500 times per year.
(These figures have been mentioned by a variety of media sources over the years. They have become the general statistics most referenced on the subject.)
2. The average life of a garage door torsion spring is about 9-10 years.
(or about 13,500 to 15,000 open and close activations in an average home).
3. Garage doors have a typical life span of about 20 years, or potentially much longer if maintained properly.
(Lubricating your door is one of the key things you can do to prolong the life of your garage door.)
4. 55% of homeowners use the garage door as their home’s main entryway.
(Chamberlain Group study)
5. 47% of people surveyed by Wall Street Journal said “Parking” is the most important function of a garage. In related stats, 1 in 4 homeowners say their garage is too cluttered to allow parking cars in them. And 1 in 3 homeowners report that they are embarrassed to leave their garage doors open. (PR Newswire).
A cluttered and disorganized garage can also be a safety hazard. Check these tips for making your garage safer.
6. Compared to other home improvement projects, a new garage door yields the highest return on investment (97.5%) when selling your home.
(Annual Cost vs. Value survey by Remodeling Magazine.)
7. Garage door openers with “rolling codes” automatically change the transmit code with every use.
(Popular Mechanics. This technology has been in place since the early 1990’s and is exclusively used in all Raynor openers. Prior to that, opener transmit codes were fixed and therefore more vulnerable to scanners’ ability to “eavesdrop” on codes.) Also did you know? … The first opener controls were not the hand-held devices we use now. They were wired buttons, usually mounted on a post within reach of the driver.
8. Garage doors have played a key role in launching several major American companies.
(All of these companies started in a garage: Apple, Google, Disney, Amazon, Harley Davidson, Hewlett-Packard, Maglite and Mattel.)
9. Of course we have to mention garage bands because, certainly, there were garage doors involved! These 3 bands are among the most famous to start their careers in the garage: Nirvana, Metallica, and The Beatles. We had some fun creating this video tribute: Raynor, Great American Garage Doors. Do you recognize the band we are honoring?
10. If you live in a region that is prone to tropical storms or tornados, you should note that an older style, non-reinforced garage door is one of the weakest points of entry for high winds.
If the door fails, the home’s destruction can literally start there as high wind pressures can lift the roof off the walls. (Concerned? Check out our Hurricane-Ready garage door series. Tip: They aren’t just for coastal areas.)
Is your garage door beyond repair and in need of a total “makeover?” Or can it be repaired at reasonable cost? Download this free guide for some helpful insights.